[kramdown-users] Zcaron/zcaron not valid HTML references

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Tue Jul 6 13:33:53 EDT 2010

On or about 7/6/10 5:20 AM, thus spake "Shawn Van Ittersum"
<svicalifornia at gmail.com>:

> It would be better if kramdown left encoded entities in input in the same
> encoding on output.  Thus:
> Bla&#x017e;  ->   <p>Bla&#x017e;</p>
> Bla&zcaron;  ->   <p>Bla&zcaron;</p>
> And if the actual character appears in input (unencoded), then convert to
> numeric as Eric suggests.

No. If the actual character appears in input, leave it alone. UTF8
characters are legal in XHTML / XML.

This is also in keeping with the promise already given by Thomas Leitner
(and I quote):

> The kramdown parser (as well as the new
> HTML parser) doesn't convert between encodings or change normal
> characters to entities. Whatever string you give to kramdown comes out
> in the same encoding.

Actually, I thought that the example given in this email, namely the string
Bla&#x017e;, would have fallen into the field of this promise as well.
kramdown should not change literal entities or literal characters. m.