[kramdown-users] kramdown + smarty pants punctuation

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Fri Feb 5 12:43:45 EST 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:11:02 +0100, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:44:24 -0600, john muhl wrote:
> > does kramdown have an option to turn on smarty pants style
> > punctuation?
> >
> > currently i'm wrapping kramdown with rubypants but there is an issue
> > with " when i do this; i.e. by the time the kramdown output is
> > handed off to rubypants all the "s are already ". to get
> > around that i'm overriding the ESCAPE_MAP to not include " but i
> > really don't like that; and it causes problems with markdown like
> > `Foo [bar](/url/ "Title with "quotes" inside")` (the inner quotes
> > are never converted to entities).
> >
> > any suggestions for a better way to handle this or an option i've
> > overlooked?
>
> No, nothing overlooked and no option currently. If you like I can add
> an opton for the HTML converter to convert plain text elements without
> using the " to " conversion.

Since there seems no problem in using " instead of " in normal
HTML text (as opposed to using it in HTML tag attribute values), I have
changed the HTML converter to not convert " to " in normal text.
The change will be available with the next release and will hopefully
help you with integrating kramdown and rubypants.