[kramdown-users] Bug in list parsing

Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:23:55 EDT 2010

> Have you skimmed the article you linked to until the end? There they say
> that you should wrap your text *before* sending, ie. you should
> configure your mail program like I did with mine to wrap the text so
> that there won't be any problem in any mail client! You could do this
> with/for your users - then the sent messages will contain nicely
> formatted text. The only problems that remains would be when quoting
> another email...

If the email client wraps long list items, such as this:

  * Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
  * Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

It will be wrapped as:

[...]

See the problem?  Markdown handles this gracefully, because it supports lazy indentation.  kramdown does not.

> Just tell them to use blank lines between block level elements and one
> worry will just go away! As for the lazy indentation, I'm still
> skimming the Markdown ML on this.

Markdown supports lazy indentation throughout the syntax.  It's explicitly mentioned as a key part of its design, on the "Basics" page and on the "Syntax" page.