[kramdown-users] Bug in list parsing

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Tue Aug 17 10:14:04 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-17 05:04 +0700 Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Given that this difference causes problems for email-wrapped text,
> and "the single biggest source of inspiration for Markdown's syntax
> is the format of plain text email," would you please reconsider the
> kramdown syntax?  What are the technical issues involved?

The inspiration may be email but not how bad mail programs garble
mails...

Markdown supports paragraphs with hard-wrapped lines, ie. one or more
continuous lines are one paragraph even if they contain single line
breaks. If you write your paragraphs using single, long lines, then
mail programs will probably garble the text and the result is harder to
parse and to understand semantically. This is not only a problem for
computers but also for humans who have to decipher a garbled email text
(although it is vastly easier for humans because they understand the
text).

Lazy paragraphs are not only supported within lists in Markdown but
also within blockquotes and probably other block level elements. What
do you say to the following:

    > ... but this is wrong!
    No, it is not!

Is this one blockquote or a blockquote followed by a paragraph? Since
Markdown supports lazy blockquotes, it considers the above text to be
one blockquote. However, I think it is more natural to assume that this
is a blockquote followed by a paragraph which is how kramdown
interprets it.

So if we change the behaviour for lists, we should probably also change
the behaviour for blockquotes, footnote definitions and all other
similar block level elements to remain consistent.