[kramdown-users] is this rule necessary?

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Thu Aug 5 14:52:41 EDT 2010

This is not a huge deal, so ignore if it's too much trouble.

There's a rule in kramdown that didn't exist in Markdown: if you have this
structure (inline link):

...then if the link has any spaces in it, you have to surround it with angle

Otherwise the structure is not transformed to an anchor tag.

Now, this is a perfectly clear rule, so there's no bug or anything. The
issue for me is purely a matter of convience: I have a LOT of these, and
transforming them all (inserting the angle brackets), as I turn my Markdown
Web sites into kramdown sites, is a pain in the butt. Which leads to me to
ask: is this rule necessary? Why can't we just assume that [...](...) is
this structure, and needs transforming, the same as Markdown did, regardless
of whether the parentheses contains spaces?