[kramdown-users] Inline comments

Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 01:11:44 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:59:49 -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
>> With that in mind, I suggest:
>>   {:comment} skip this {:/comment}
> This feels unusually XML-like and inconsistent with the rest of the
> kramdown extension syntax. Also, it is hardly less verbose than the
> more obvious:
>   {::comment:}skip this{::comment:}

I think using the same tag to toggle comment status on and off will be problematic.  The editor may overlook the first comment tag and think that the comment begins with the second tag, especially if the commented string is sufficiently long.  This will lead to a great deal of confusion.

SGML, HTML, and XML use a slash to denote close tags distinct from open tags to avoid the above problem.  If kramdown tags are going to be used as containers in this manner, then the tags should similarly have distinct open and close forms.