[kramdown-users] Line break

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Sun Apr 11 02:58:01 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:39:49 +0200, Michael Franzl wrote:
> Matt Neuburg wrote:
> > Surely the use of two spaces after the words "second paragraph" to
> > signal the break explicitly is not too much to ask of end-users. m.
>
> No, it isn't too much. I should have looked into the documentation
> before, which is great btw.

Thanks!

Not turning new lines into hard breaks is one of the features Markdown
differentiates from Textile. Moreover, if you consider the roots of
Markdown, ie. email messages, you will find that text in most email
messages is broken at 72 characters (like in this mail) to avoid long
lines and horizontal scrolling so that it always looks good no matter
if the mail program supports wrapping long lines or not. However, since
all web browser have to do line wrapping, it isn't an issue there - and
the Markdown syntax takes advantage of that (i.e. converting such a
pargraph into one HTML paragraph without newlines).