[kramdown-users] Backward incompatible changes in parser/converter

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Thu Apr 8 06:48:16 EDT 2010

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 05:21:47 -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> I was going to make the similar observation that, while XHTML-like
> syntax may be well-known, users of Markdown (with extensions) have
> also already become accustomed to IALs and, by extension, the closely
> related {::foo::} syntax. Thomas, you mentioned the Markdown mailing
> list. Was there relevant discussion there which prompted proposed
> change?

No, not in this regard. There was some general discussion about
Markdown, Markdown extensions, the future direction of Markdown and
that Markdown syntax should not be configurable which lead to the
other points of my initial mail.

> In any event, if the syntax does change, it probably would be
> worthwhile to continue recognizing the old syntax for some time, and
> not remove it as quickly as some of the other deprecated features
> have been removed. I suggest this since (my impression is that)
> kramdown has already a wider audience than the webgen user base.

That is most probably correct since webgen is a tool for a special
purpose and kramdown a library meant to replace Maruku - which is used
by many such tools as well as other apps like radiant - as default
library for parsing Markdown with extensions.

I will keep that in mind when considering making other syntax changes.