[Kramdown-users] Expected HTML span behavior?

Eric Sunshine sunshine at sunshineco.com
Tue Nov 24 21:15:56 EST 2009

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Leitner wrote:
>> Rather than the expected:
>>    {p}Link: {a href="/" title="Foo Bar"}Foo Bar{/a}{/p}
>> Or perhaps, though unlikely:
>>    {p}Link: {a href="/" title="Foo
>>    Bar"}Foo Bar{/a}{/p}
> Since the syntax documentation is still in a state of flux, some cases
> are not described. As for your example, I also think that kramdown
> should output one of the above. I have added this to my TODO list -
> thanks!

Different browsers treat a newline in the the 'title' attribute
differently. (Firefox folds out the newline in 'title' but Chrome and
IE8 respect it.) Perhaps, therefore, it would be best for Kramdown to
normalize attribute strings to the first "expected" output, where the
newline is folded out, rather than the second.

On the one hand, though, it can be argued that it is not Kramdown's
responsibility to appease different browsers, so folding out the newline
should not be Kramdown's responsibility. On the other hand, Kramdown
already appears to be manipulating the HTML element attributes
(alphabetizing them?), so additionally folding out embedded newlines
from attribute values is not so far fetched.

-- ES