[Kramdown-users] HTML span clarification

Thomas Leitner t_leitner at gmx.at
Tue Nov 24 15:28:08 EST 2009

Hi Eric,

>    {a href="/" title="Product"}Product{/a} was released.
>    Download it _now_.
>
> Nevertheless, Kramdown produces the expected (and desired) output;
>
>    {p}{a href="/" title="Product"}Product{/a} was released.
>    Download it {em}now{/em}.{/p}
>
> This output seems to contradict the documentation. On the other hand,
> I repeatedly run into situations where this sort of situation arises,
> so the present Kramdown behavior is desirable. Maruku utterly fails
> with this input and requires ugly work-arounds.

the HTML block and span sections in the syntax documentation are not
very clear on this, I know. I'm currently refactoring the HTML parsing
code since it is about the ugliest part in the parser ;-) - the syntax
documentation will be adpated accordingly.

Regarding your example above: the syntax documentation is false in this
regard, the actual code is and will be right!

There are still some situations where the HTML parsing code doesn't do
quite the "right thing" although it currently also much flexibility
(e.g. tables and some special cases with the script tag don't work
right now).

-- Thomas