[kramdown-users] RFC: Table syntax proposal

Eric Sunshine sunshine at sunshineco.com
Thu Dec 31 05:10:05 EST 2009

Hi Thomas,

On 12/31/2009 3:18 AM, Thomas Leitner wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:41:15 -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
>> This behavior seems somewhat counter-intuitive and may have a high
>> "surprise factor". I can imagine people tripping over this, getting
>> footer rows unexpectedly. Perhaps there should be some explicit
>> mechanism for triggering footer rows?
> Do you have any syntax in mind? I tried various ways (equal signs,
> underscores, ...) but none look quite right.

Assuming that footer lines are somewhat rare, perhaps the visual
appearance need not be a huge concern. The syntax could even be
something as simple as an equal sign following the opening vertical bar;
with remaining characters being equal signs or any of the other tokens
already expected in separator lines. In this way, "|=" would be a valid
footer separator, as would "|=------", etc. A minor argument in favor of
the equal sign is its mnemonic significance: that is, many footer lines
hold summations (totals).

> Looking at PHP Markdown
> Extra and MultiMarkdown I saw that both do not support footer lines so
> I think I will just drop this part and only support multipe table
> bodies.

That is a reasonable argument, although, kramdown is already a superset
of these other implementations, so it would not be unexpected for
kramdown to provide another feature not offered by the others.

-- ES