[Kramdown-users] Table Syntax

Shawn Van Ittersum svicalifornia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:43:38 EST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:37:04 +0100, Thomas Leitner wrote:
>> Also, would it be possible to support this alternate syntax for
>> separating the header row from the rest of the table:
>>       | header | here  |
>>       ------------------
>>       | some   | cells |
>>       | more   | cells |
> I haven't much though about the used table syntax. It will probably be
> based on the syntax of the PHP Markdown Extra package. One difference
> will be that all tables lines have to begin with a vertical bar. So I
> don't know if your above proposal will make it into the table syntax,
> especially since PHP Markdown Extra does not allow this syntax.

That's OK.  What about this?

  | header | here  |
  |--- (some arbitrary number of dashes, at least three)
  | some   | cells |
  | more   | cells |

I have a Markdown-enabled wiki, so I edit Markdown in a textarea in the Safari web browser, which does not have Emacs' nifty tools for table cell width cleanup.  The above simpler form of the PHP Markdown Extra syntax would be very helpful when the cell widths change often.  The dashes clearly indicate a separator, without needing additional vertical bars and dashes across all the cells, which need to be adjusted if the cell widths change.