[Jruby-extras-devel] JParseTree initial release

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Jan 15 18:46:53 EST 2007

Nick Sieger wrote:
> On 1/15/07, *Werner Schuster (murphee)* <werner.schuster at gmail.com
> <mailto:werner.schuster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     howdy,
>
>     I just released the first version of JParseTree, the JRuby version of
>     Ryan Davis' ParseTree
>     (http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ParseTree/index.html
>     <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ParseTree/index.html>)
>
>     The download is available as part of the JRuby Extras project:
>     http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2014&release_id=9016
>     <http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2014&release_id=9016>
>     (see the JParseTree section for the file).
>

> Cool!  Now if we could only get JParseTree to be picked up instead of
> ParseTree in gem dependencies -- things like ruby2ruby and heckle would
> just work :)

Unfortunately that's not the case now, nor will it be in the future :(
We already have incompatibilities in our AST (RootNode, for example) and
we will have more in the future (we're changing the order of IterNode
and all its usual children to better match the actual evaluation order).
So anything that depends on a specific structure for the AST is going to
break as a result.

Of course, that's the danger of writing tools based on the AST...it's
subject to change.

- Charlie