[Ironruby-core] IronRuby installer

Orion Edwards Orion.Edwards at gallagher.co
Tue May 22 03:26:27 UTC 2012

I spent a bit more time trying to get the IronRuby installer to go, and
succeeded; resulting in the following pull request:

https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/pull/71

The main problem seemed to be that the IronRuby installer created 3 MSM's
(DLR, IrRedist and IronStudio) and then merged them all... This failed
because each MSM re-defined the NetFxScheduleNativeImage custom action,
and more than one MSM is not allowed to do that. I'm not sure how this
worked in the past... Did WIX get upgraded?
It looks like (from what I can tell) the IronPython installer has been
re-done into a (much much simpler) wixproj whereas the IronRuby installer
is still building with MSM's (and is much more complicated than perhaps it
should be).
Is this right?
If so, should someone embark upon a project to re-do the IronRuby
installer in a similar fashion to the IronPython one?

Thanks, Orion