[Ironruby-core] Encoding problem

Albert-Jan Pieter Nijburg albertjan at curit.com
Thu Jan 13 04:33:42 EST 2011

Hi Guys,

My boss thought it would be cool to use "ë" in an sql tablename, many of you will want to shoot her now J.

But now I did find something weird, I can't even print "ë".

It says:

tabaco.rb:16:in `puts': character U+00EB can't be encoded in US-ASCII (Encoding::InvalidByteSequenceError)

        from tabaco.rb:16

when I print the string somewhere else :S when it comes back from a method.

System::Text::DecoderFallbackException at /patient/0

Unable to translate bytes [EB] at index 3 from specified code page to Unicode.

Or when I don't mess with it

Encoding::InvalidByteSequenceError at /patient/0

invalid byte sequence EB on UTF-8

All the same problem coming from 3 places.

Is this a fundamental issue or should this be solvable?

If you could point me in the right direction I could try to maybe fix it.