[Ironruby-core] Code Review - Time#strftime ignore invalid directives on format string

Jimmy Schementi jschementi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:20:30 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Enrico Sada <enrico.sada at gmail.com> wrote:

> i asked a pull request ( https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/pull/28
> ) for fix Time#strftime behaviour on invalid directives on format
> string, ex:
> ruby 1.8:
> Time.now.strftime '%$' => '$'
> ruby 1.9:
> Time.now.strftime '%$' => '%$'
> this make green a mspec test on core/time/strftime_spec.rb

Looks good. Did the test fail before ths change?

> I have some question:
> 1) i added a check for ruby compatibility >= ruby 1.9, is needed?

Not really as we have explicitly decided that IronRuby 1.x targets MRI 1.9,
and doesn't support 1.8.x anymore. However, we didn't remove any of those
checks for 1.8. It doesn't hurt, but isn't required.

> 2) i removed 'fails:' from
> ironruby-tags-19/core/time/strftime_tags.txt is correct?

Yup, you fixed that test so no need for the guard anymore.

> 3) usually code review is in mailing list or github pull request? (so
> i dont need to write two times the same questions)

It doesn't matter where you actually write the text, but the pull request is
needed as well as notifying the mailing list. I say put everything in the
pull request, and then send the link to the pull request to the mailing