[Ironruby-core] Dropping .NET 2.0 Support for IronRuby

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:10:02 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Tomas Matousek
<Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'd be fine with dropping support for *Desktop* v2.0. We need to support Silverlight 3 builds though so that we continue running on Windows Phone 7. This essentially means we can't get rid of the inner ring just yet. Do you consider supporting IronPython on Windows Phone too? The only work that's needed there is to interpret call-sites instead of compiling them. Some of them already do so but there are others that don't. Plus you'd need a bit refactoring to avoid referring Ref.Emit types in common code paths.

It's a pretty common request, but no one has stepped up to do it yet,
and it doesn't interest me personally. I don't want to rule it out,
though. I think we'd similar work to run on MonoTouch as well.
However, we could restrict that to the 2.7 line until WP gets a proper
Silverlight 4/CoreCLR runtime.

> Overall I don't think dropping v2.0 build buys us that much if we need Silverlight 3 build anyways. Do you experience problems or excessive amount of work supporting v2.0 builds?

We're still going to support them for 2.7, and 2.7 will be around for
a long time. For 3.0 I doubt I'll do anything to actively break 2.0
support, but testing against it won't be done on a regular basis, and
if it breaks, and no one steps up to fix it, it'll stay probably stay
broken.

- Jeff