[Ironruby-core] Dropping .NET 2.0 Support for IronRuby

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 6 18:00:49 EDT 2011

I'd be fine with dropping support for *Desktop* v2.0. We need to support Silverlight 3 builds though so that we continue running on Windows Phone 7. This essentially means we can't get rid of the inner ring just yet. Do you consider supporting IronPython on Windows Phone too? The only work that's needed there is to interpret call-sites instead of compiling them. Some of them already do so but there are others that don't. Plus you'd need a bit refactoring to avoid referring Ref.Emit types in common code paths.

Overall I don't think dropping v2.0 build buys us that much if we need Silverlight 3 build anyways. Do you experience problems or excessive amount of work supporting v2.0 builds?

Tomas