[Ironruby-core] $KCODE, -KU and CLR strings

Daniele Alessandri suppakilla at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:47:39 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,
please consider this snippet:

$KCODE = "U"
puts "日本語".to_clr_string.length

When I run it by launching ir.exe without any option I get 9 as an
output (each character in that string is actually made up of 3 bytes
with UTF-8 encoding), and when I do the same with the -KU option being
passed to ir.exe I get 3. Aside from the fact that I think that 3 is
to be considered the right behaviour here, shouldn't the sole $KCODE =
"U" have the same effect of starting ir.exe with the -KU option?

Thanks,
Daniele

--
Daniele Alessandri