[Ironruby-core] IronRuby version of existing gems

Will Green will at hotgazpacho.org
Fri Mar 5 23:18:15 EST 2010

See  http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/20#platform

Basically, most gems contain pure Ruby code. Some gems contain C (or
Java, or now possibly C#) code that gets compiled at gem install time.
Some gems even include pre-compiled code. You will find that the
overwhelming majority of these gems target the mswin32 platform (which
is based on the VC6 runtime).

The reason that binary gems are distributed is that, unlike on most
Linux/UNIX/BSD based systems, Windows does not come with a C compiler,
let alone the specific version used to create mswin32 Ruby, MSVC 6.
So, users of the mswin32 Ruby relied on those who had a license to
MSVC 6 to provide binaries of the gems they needed. This is a major
reason why development of the mswin32 Ruby has ceased... Very few
people have MSVC6, it's old and slow, and those who want MSVC6 (so
they can contribute to mswin32 Ruby) can't get it anymore. This is why
the mingw32 version of Ruby is the actively maintained version of C
Ruby on Windows: no worries about mingw licensing and distribution,
and it's freely available.

This is the reason why it is important that IronRuby report the
correct architecture and runtime environment. As I said before, Gems
that target mswin32 will not run on IronRuby, because the thing that
makes them mswin32 is that they include C extensions that can be, or
are, compiled to native, unmanaged code targetting the MSVC6 runtime.
So, it is important that IronRuby not identify itself as mswin32,
because the gems that target that platform won't work on IronRuby
anyway.

What Luis has done with Rake Compiler is allow the gem author to
create extensions in C and Java, and permit them to compile platform
specific versions of the same gem. I'm sure that he would welcome
contributions that would allow us to write extensions in C# and build
gems that target IronRuby as a platform, all while keeping the same
gem name. That is, win32console-mswin32.gem and win32console-
mingw32.gem come from the same source gem, but they are compiled
against different runtimes, and target different platforms. With
IronRuby identifying itself correctly, and some additions to rake-
compiler to generate .Net assemblies, it may be possible to generate a
win32console-.net20.gem. Even then, we'd need to provide patches to
libraries that use a regex against RUBY_PLATFORM to determine if we're
running on Windows. But then, what if you're running IronRuby on Mono
on Linux, where any of the win32xxx gems make no sense?

My point is that I don't see a way to just inject IronRuby-specific
libraries in place of the mswin32 ones without causing all sorts of
headaches with platform juggling. IronRuby is not always on Windows,
and thus should not identify itself as running on Windows, and
certainly should not identify itself as the MSVC6 version or Ruby.

--
Will Green
http://hotgazpacho.org/