[Ironruby-core] IronRuby version of existing gems

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 4 19:36:12 EST 2010

With my last checkin, RbConfig::CONFIG[“arch”] will be “universal-.net2.0” for IronRuby. I created a gemspec as shown below. Doing “gem build” on it will create a gem with filename of Shri-1.2.3-universal-unknown.gem. Instead use “rbx –S gem build” and you will get a file called Shri-1.2.3-universal-.net.gem.

spec = Gem::Specification.new do |s|
  s.name = 'Shri'
  s.version = '1.2.3'
  s.summary = "Shri summary"
  s.platform = "universal-.net"
  s.description = %{Shri description}
  s.files = []
  s.author = "Shri"
  s.email = "shri at email"
  s.homepage = "http://shri.org"
end

I have updated with http://ironruby.net/Documentation/Real_Ruby_Applications/RubyGems with this info:
IronRuby-specific gems
Gems could specifically target IronRuby. They may contain Ruby code which uses .NET APIs, or they may even include compiled .NET assemblies. In such cases, the Gem specification should set platform <http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/20#platform> to "universal-.net" (or "universal-.net4.0" to run only on .NET 4), and build the gem using IronRuby ("rbx -S gem build").
Note that if you build the gem with MRI using "gem build", MRI will not be able to recognize the platform string, and will create a gem file named something like foo-universal-unknown.gem (instead of the expected foo-universal-.net.gem"). To avoid this, build the gem using IronRuby as mentioned above.
Talking with Tomas, we will leave RUBY_PLATFORM set to “x86-mswin32” (on Windows) since many apps check for “mswin32” in RUBY_PLATFORM to check if they are running on Windows. We considered appending “.net” and setting RUBY_PLATFORM to “.net-mswin32” or “x86-mswin32/.net” to indicate that it was not MRI, but decided against it as you can always check RUBY_ENGINE to detect if you are running on IronRuby.