[Ironruby-core] IronRuby version of existing gems

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 2 13:01:44 EST 2010

This brings a question to mind - what should the general approach be for porting existing gems to IronRuby? There could be two possible approaches:

1.       Create a gem with the same name (“win32console” in this case), and specify platform==”ironruby”. That way, dependent gems do not need to be updated, and users have to remember just one name. IronRuby will use the version with platform==”ironruby”, and MRI will use the one with platform==”mswin32”. So there should not be any clashes even if you use MRI and IronRuby on the same machine.

2.       Create a new gem like iron-term-ansicolor.

Any pro or cons to the two? What should the recommendation be in general?