[Ironruby-core] OpenSSL

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 21 21:23:07 EDT 2010

You’re heading the right direction and thanks for taking care of this module!

A few comments:

-          RSA constructors: does Ruby convert any parameters via to_s, to_str, etc.? If so you’ll need to use [DefaultProtocol] attribute or other appropriate conversions. The easiest way how to find out what conversions are used in MRI is like so:

class C
  def respond_to? name
      puts name
      false
  end
end

RSA.new (C.new, C.new, C.new)

-          These are not very efficient:

                private static byte[] PemToDer(string pem_encoded_key) {
                private static string DerToPem(byte[] der_data, bool isPrivate) {

You can use RubyEncoder class to encode/decode base64 (ReadBase64, WriteBase64). It might need some tweaks but that’s all right, feel free to change it.

-          The methods “n”, “e”, etc. should return MutableString instead of byte[]. Byte[] is not a native Ruby type.

-          You shouldn’t catch all exceptions in DecodeRSAPrivateKey, especially when you’re throwing them in the same method:

                    catch (Exception) {

                        return new RSAParameters();

                    }

Does Ruby throw any exceptions there? Which?

-          This could be done better using shift operator:

byte[] modint = { lowbyte, highbyte, 0x00, 0x00 };

count = BitConverter.ToInt32(modint, 0);

count = (lowbyte << 24) | (highbyte << 16)

-          Our coding convention is to use braces consistently and “else”, “finally”, “catch” etc. right next to closing brace:

                    if (bt == 0x81) {

                        count = binr.ReadByte();      // data size in next byte

                    } else {

As for compat, I’d target 1.9 first. Write specs and run them against both MRIs. Then we can decide based upon how much they differ.

Accessors – this is the pattern we currently use:
http://gist.github.com/447738

Tomas