[Ironruby-core] Preview of ironruby-rack gem

Shay Friedman shay.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:11:03 EDT 2010

I'm checking out the new IronRuby.Rack utils with a small web application
(not the sample one) I have here.
The first problems I had were related to version problems since the project
had been created using version (and I'm using 1.1). Small fixes for
the references in the project made this problem go away.

Another problem was that the virtual directory on the IIS server was created
using the default application pool, which uses .NET 2. Since I'm using the
.NET 4 version I had to change the application pool.

Last problem, which I couldn't figure out yet is that now I get the next

unknown: No coercion operator is defined between types 'System.String'
and 'IronRuby.Builtins.MutableString'. (TypeError)

I took a look at the log and it seems like the problem is somewhere in this

        private object Rackup() {
            Utils.Log("=> Loading Rack application");
            var fullPath = Path.Combine(_appRoot, "config.ru");
            if (File.Exists(fullPath)) {
                return IronRubyEngine.ExecuteMethod<RubyArray>(
                    "parse_file", MutableString.CreateAscii(fullPath))[0];
            return null;

Any ideas?

Shay Friedman | Microsoft Visual C#/IronRuby MVP | Author of IronRuby
Blog: http://IronShay.com | Twitter: http://twitter.com/ironshay