[Ironruby-core] Why IronRuby?

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 26 11:57:09 EST 2010

Along a lot of these ideas, I have written a small app which I use to file bugs on Codeplex. The source is at http://github.com/jredville/cp_bugger. I bring it up now because it fills some of these points:

*         Internal: it's not internal since it is open source, but it is a custom toom

*         Extending .NET applications: I wrap the TFS api's to make them more friendly and adjust the complexities of TFS to the relative simplicity of Codeplex.

*         REPL: Used the repl a lot during the development of this. I plan on adding a repl mode to this, and I might make IRB the base of that repl.

*          SL: Not here ;)

*         DSLs: Yep, I made a command DSL that makes creating commands relatively easy

*         IIS: Not here :)

This app would have been possible via screen scraping or Ruby.NET, but it was amazingly simple to build using IronRuby. It's also really useful, and has very little todo with testing.

JD