[Ironruby-core] Why IronRuby?

Shay Friedman shay.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:35:22 EST 2010

This question keeps coming back :)

Testing is a great use of IronRuby, maybe even the top reason for .NET guys
to use it. However, there are more reasons for .NET guys to adopt IronRuby
like:
- Writing internal tools.
- Make it possible to extend .NET applications using IronRuby.
- Using IronRuby's REPL capabilities for quick POCs or to enhance current
.NET applications.
- Silverlight and Gestalt development
- Writing DSLs
- Running Ruby on Rails on IIS "natively" (this one is not so much for the
.NET developer, but it's a great reason too :-) ).

All in all, it will be tremendously hard to convince C#/VB.Net guys to work
with IronRuby. Moreover, it'll be twice as hard until VS fully supports the
language.
Having said that, I do believe that as time goes by the walls will collapse
and IronRuby will become a common tool among .NET devs.

Shay.

Shay Friedman | .NET Technologies Expert | Author of IronRuby Unleashed |
Sela Technology Center
Blog: http://IronShay.com | Twitter: http://twitter.com/ironshay