[Ironruby-core] "igem install rake" raise an System.UnauthorizedAccessException (Windows 7)

Thibaut Barrère thibaut.barrere at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:16:37 EST 2010

> Per-user gems should not be the default. In RubyInstaller (mingw MRI), as well as MRI on Linux, and I believe OS X, system-wide gems are
> the default. This, of course, would require elevation (sudo gem install xxx).

I believe per-user gems is now the default (it wasn't in the past, but
if I'm right a rubygems update changed that behaviour. Maybe 1.3.0 -
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=27728 => 'RubyGems now
installs gems into ~/.gem if GEM_HOME is not writable. Use
--no-user-install command-line switch to disable this behavior.').

Here's what happens on my machine (OS X):

~$ gem list | grep less
~$ sudo gem list | grep less
~$ gem install less
~$ gem list | grep less
less (1.2.21)
~$ sudo gem list | grep less

~$ gem -v
~$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-darwin10.0.0]

-- Thibaut