[Ironruby-core] Did Something Changed Again in Spec...

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 25 14:55:01 EST 2010

First, can you please join the mailing list so that we don't have to figure out your context. The forum doesn't include the thread.

Gems are not like the GAC. The location of the GAC is hard to change, yes you can do it via hint paths, but you will probably break something. Gems are easy to move. Simply set your GEM_PATH environment variable. You can also redirect the binary location at install time. Some of the tools out there change the location of these things on purpose to allow you to setup different "environments". Gems are better compared to *nix packaging systems than to the GAC. They handle dependency loading, installation, versioning, etc.

 If you need the IronRuby folder in the "right" location, then require your users to use the installer with default options. However, even then, you are requiring your users to go through the greater issue of installing IronRuby and all of your required gems. You are also requiring them to keep up with your versions if you choose to update. I would expect people to include the IronRuby dll's and the required ruby libraries with their application, just like they would do with .NET libraries. Then the setup isn't a problem since it is only setting up the app.