[Ironruby-core] dealing with TFS

Jim Deville jdeville at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 23 13:48:41 EST 2010

Tfpt online is nice for that purpose. tf folderdiff . /r (recursive on this directory) is another way to detect changes, but it’s a pain since it re-syncs everytime you make a change. Rails would make it hard, but a few other options I can think of to help:

a)      If it’s a new project, maybe Codeplex’s new Mercurial support can convince them to use something different

b)      I can help you get setup to sync Git with TFS like we do for IronRuby. It’s a bit of a kludge right now, but it works. Jimmy and I are both trying to make it better, but neither of us have the time yet.

c)       Write a plugin for rails that hooks into the generator’s SCM support (-g and –s options) to add and edit files as it works.

One other thing I have for working within TFS. I map :w to :w! (to overwrite read-only files). And I have defined <leader>te and <leader>ta which simply call :!tf edit % and :!tf add %. The percent expands to the current file. Whenever I touch a file I run this command, of course, this requires you to launch vim from a command line that has TF in the path.