[Ironruby-core] Asynchronous Calls

Orion Edwards orion.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 00:19:06 EST 2010

What do you mean by "set up asynchronous calls"?

If your get_settings method is a C# method using the IAsyncResult pattern, then you should be able to invoke it from IronRuby.
From memory you can pass a ruby Proc in place of the AsyncCallback and it should all work:

callback = lambda{ |asyncresult| puts data.end_get_settings(asyncresult) }
data.begin_get_settings("abc", callback, nil)

If you want to write your own asynchronous method not involving C# at all, then you can do that too. If that's the case, then all you really need to do is remember to call the block when you're done.

def get_settings(&block)
   settings = 123

In a real function you'd probably run the body of get_settings in another thread, but I won't go into how to do threading, as there may be other better ways depending on your situation.