[Ironruby-core] Updated Rails instructions

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 20 04:24:34 EST 2010

ironruby-sqlserver simple depends on ironruby-dbi, which replaces the built-in DBI module with one capable of working with ADO.NET, as well as activerecord-sqlserver-adapter. It also patches activerecord-sqlserver-adapter to allow connection through ADO.NET. So doing a gem install ironruby-sqlserver pulls down those two gems also, and wires everything up:

> igem install ironruby-sqlserver --no-rdoc --no-ri
Successfully installed ironruby-dbi-0.1.0
Successfully installed activerecord-sqlserver-adapter-2.3.0
Successfully installed ironruby-sqlserver-0.1.0
3 gems installed

In fact, your log below shows activerecord-sqlserver-adapter on the stack =)

For the connection issue, did you set your database.yml? As long as ir.exe is running as you, integrated security should be fine. From looking at your log, this should work (if you’re using sqlexpress, and you set up the database to use Windows authentication):

development:
  mode: ADONET
  adapter: sqlserver
  host: CATAPULT\SQLEXPRESS
  database: ironruby_on_rails_dev
  integrated_security: true

Otherwise, you can set up a specific username and password for your database, and then specific the “username” and “password” in the database yml file.

~Jimmy