[Ironruby-core] Bug?: Ruby2Ruby and ParseTree on IronRuby

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 18 01:08:51 EST 2010

Yes, the base ParseTree functionality is implemented in Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\ParseTree\IronRubyParseTreeOps.cs and Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libs\parse_tree.rb. It's not well tested code so it might be missing something or not exactly emulate Ruby's behavior (it's somewhat difficult to figure out how the tree should look like for some syntax elements). So, please, file a bug if you fined differences that matter. We also accept unit test contributions in a form of a spec :).

IronRuby 0.9.3.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.4927

>>> require 'parse_tree'
=> true
>>> ParseTree.translate("puts 'hello'")
=> [:fcall, :puts, [:array, [:str, "hello"]]]

You can get a parse tree for a string and for a method. So far blocks are not supported. Do blocks work in Ruby 1.8.6?
Note that the ability to retrieve a parse tree for an arbitrary method or a block makes all apps more memory consuming and thus also slower. Ruby trees of every single method and block need to stay in the memory for the case someone might call ParseTree.translate on them. We might need to do something about that for v1.0. Ideally, there would be a syntax in Ruby to define a quoted block or a method - that is a syntax that takes a method or block declaration and turns it into a parse tree. Something like ParseTree.translate but with a real code instead of a string.

Tomas