[Ironruby-core] MRI 1.8.7 compatibility

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 15 17:22:12 EST 2010

Good point, but slight overreaction =)

Running Rails 3 and being 1.8.7 compatible can be completely different goals, as Rails 3 doesn't use all of the 1.8.7 features. =) We can implement the features needed for Rails 3 for the releases after 1.0, so we may turn out to be compatible-enough with 1.8.7 for Rails 3. But, since we're not going to run tests against both 1.8.7 and 1.9, we won't be compatible enough to actually say "ruby-1.8.7 compatible". Plus, we'd like to start ripping out ruby-1.8 features from the 1.x releases, so that might be an impossible statement.

Since 1.9 is the future of Ruby, we're jumping directly to supporting it, as that will position IronRuby for great compatibility in the future, rather than trying to optimize for the current state of the ruby-world. If Rails 3 on IronRuby 1.1 or 1.2 is very important to people, than it'll find a way of happening. But 1.8.x support is a dead-end, and not worth the IronRuby core team's or contributor's time. Plus, Matz ordered me to stop caring about 1.8 support, so I can't say no to that =P

Are there other reasons why it's important for IronRuby to be ruby-1.8.7 compatible? If not, I'd prefer to just prioritize any changes needed for "Rails 3 support", rather than 1.8.7 support.