[Ironruby-core] running some benchmarks

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 11 17:43:55 EST 2010


What problem does "gem sources -a" have with %HOME%? Does MRI have the same problem? If %HOME% is not set, IronRuby and MRI should both use the same algorithm to figure out the return value of File.expand_path("~") based on other environment variables like %USERPROFILE%.

Do you get the SocketError with MRI? You could try running "gem install" and "gem uninstall" in a loop with MRI to see if its an issue with the machine configuration itself.

I do have a fix for the OpenSSL issue. It does get more active_resource tests working. However, I am not sure if it is sufficient to unblock your scenarios.

________________________________
From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] on behalf of Ivan Porto Carrero [ivan at whiterabbitconsulting.eu]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:37 AM
To: ironruby-core
Subject: [Ironruby-core] running some benchmarks

Hi

I'm currently helping David m. Peterson by setting up 2 windows boxes with ironruby and running a few benchmarks and tests with it.
For example I'm going to try running a few of the complexer rails apps and see how it holds up, i'm thinking about spree and redmine atm.
We'll also run the ruby shootout suite, if you have more suggestions they're welcome.

The machines are hosted on EC2.

However using gem sources -a proves to be a little difficult if you don't have the %HOME% environment variable set.
on the both machines I could set %HOME%=%USERPROFILE% in the environment variables to remedy this, but I feel like this is something that should be handled by the installer or by the ironruby gem library.

I couldn't use the installer in windows 2003 R2 SP2 telling me I needed a higher service pack for my windows, but there is no higher one when I wanted to get that one.

I also ran into issues installing a bunch of gems at once. Below the rails gem is the one causing trouble. The problems for the rails gem go away after I installed the gemcutter gem (?), but then it fails on the rspec-rails gem with the same error. If I then remove rails from the list of gems to install everything installs fine.

D:\Console2>ir -S gem install caricature rails rspec-rails shoulda test-unit ZenTest ironruby-sqlite3 ironruby-sqlserver
Successfully installed uuidtools-2.1.1
Successfully installed caricature-0.7.6
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    SocketError: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine (http://gemcutter.org/gems/rake-0.8.7.gem)

D:\Console2>ir -S gem install rails rspec-rails shoulda test-unit ZenTest ironruby-sqlite3 ironruby-sqlserver
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    SocketError: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine (http://gemcutter.org/gems/rack-1.0.1.gem)

D:\Console2>ir -S gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2009-03-31 patchlevel 368) [i386-mswin32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: D:/ironruby/lib/ironruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: D:/ironruby/bin/ir.exe
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: D:/ironruby/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mswin32-60
  - GEM PATHS:
     - D:/ironruby/lib/ironruby/gems/1.8
     - C:/Users/casualjim/.gem/ironruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
     - :sources => ["http://gemcutter.org"]
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gemcutter.org


Additionally on windows 2003 ironruby can't find gem.bat and I did set the necessary environment variables. PATH, HOME. install

D:\Console2>ir -S gem install caricature rails rspec-rails shoulda test-unit ZenTest ironruby-sqlite3 ironruby-sqlserver
unknown: Could not find file 'D:\Console2\gem'. (Errno::ENOENT)


D:\Console2>ir -v
IronRuby 0.9.4.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.3603
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

>>> exit


Apart from the issues above, I'm unable to push gems to gemcutter with ironruby it fails with an OpenSSL error. The same error I get on my mac when I want to install gems with ironruby.

I'll keep you updated as I make more progress and/or come across more issues.
---
Met vriendelijke groeten - Best regards - Salutations
Ivan Porto Carrero
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Author of IronRuby in Action (http://manning.com/carrero)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ironruby-core/attachments/20100211/2073d15e/attachment.html>


More information about the Ironruby-core mailing list