[Ironruby-core] Create pseudo sandbox for hosted IronRuby script

Pascal Normandin pascal.normandin at convergentware.com
Mon Feb 8 09:25:15 EST 2010

Here is what I've done to achieve this but I'd really like to know if this
is the right method.  It gets really confusing when it comes to TrustLevel
and assembly permissions.

>From my basic tests I was unable to access any resources from the computer
not even the file system.

Pascal Normandin

        protected static ScriptRuntime CreateIronRubyRuntime(bool

            // Setup the ruby engine in a Sandbox

            var rubySetup = Ruby.CreateRubySetup();

            rubySetup.Options["InterpretedMode"] = true;

            var runtimeSetup = new ScriptRuntimeSetup();

            runtimeSetup.DebugMode = false;

            ScriptRuntime runtime;

            if (runInSandBox)

                // Create AppDomain Info

                AppDomainSetup info = new AppDomainSetup();

                info.ApplicationBase = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory
+ "\\bin";

                info.ApplicationName = "IRPlugin";

                // Set permissions

                PermissionSet ps1 = new PermissionSet(PermissionState.None);

                SecurityPermissionFlag flag =
SecurityPermissionFlag.SkipVerification | SecurityPermissionFlag.Execution |

                ps1.AddPermission(new SecurityPermission(flag));

                // Create the AppDomain

                AppDomain newDomain =
AppDomain.CreateDomain("IRPluginDomain", null, info, ps1);

                runtime = ScriptRuntime.CreateRemote(newDomain,

                runtime = Ruby.CreateRuntime(runtimeSetup);

            return runtime;