[Ironruby-core] Will the performance catch up be next milestone?

Orion Edwards orion.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 17:25:57 EDT 2010


Sorry Charles, I didn't mean to infer that the JRuby team wasn't doing a great job on windows (you certainly are - you're also doing a lot better job than the core ruby guys for windows as well. Are they still compiling with MSVC6?), my point was more about perception.

I'm not sure if this is true internationally, but from what I've seen of the industry here and in australia, most development shops here seem to fall into 3 categories:

1: Web shops (PHP, etc) which have nothing to do with either Java or .NET
2: Microsoft shops (asp.net, windows client apps, deploying on windows server)
3: Java shops.

This last lot of Java shops tends to be building software for larger companies (banks, etc), and seems to near-universally deploy on a unix of some kind. I'm not sure if this is because they think Java itself runs better on a non-windows OS, or if they just prefer it. (I've never professionally employed as a Java developer so I haven't had any direct interaction with these companies)

At any rate, JRuby (at least from a perception/mindshare point) gets lumped along with the rest of Java. The perception is that JRuby is Java, and Java is better on unix, so therefore you should run JRuby on Unix. I don't think this would change even if 100% of the JRuby core devs used windows all day long :-)


On 8/08/2010, at 6:41 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Orion Edwards <orion.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with your point of view, however I draw the opposite conclusion.
>> Looking at MRI and JRuby, Linux (or some BSD/solaris/etc) really is the
>> go-to platform if you want to develop a ruby application. The performance of
>> MRI in particular is clearly a lot better on *nix. This is then coupled with
>> the fact that Rails is an outstanding platform for getting web apps up and
>> running, and web apps are pretty hot these days.
> 
> FWIW, we do a *lot* of work to make sure JRuby behaves properly on
> Windows...in many cases more work than even Ruby core can put in.
> We've recognized that Ruby needs better representation on Windows, and
> until IronRuby can take over we've tried to make JRuby at least a
> better option than MRI.
> 
> Yes, there's the unfortunate truth that almost none of the JRuby core
> devs use Windows, but we are actively trying to avoid Windows being
> treated as a second-class platform. We even have a Windows installer,
> executable, native library support (including FFI) and maintain all of
> it for our Windows users. So while it's probably fair to say *nix
> platforms are better supported by JRuby, I think it's also important
> to point out that JRuby is currently a better (more consistent, more
> stable, faster) option for Ruby on Windows than MRI.
> 
> - Charlie
> _______________________________________________
> Ironruby-core mailing list
> Ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/ironruby-core



More information about the Ironruby-core mailing list