[Ironruby-core] IronRuby & Microsoft.Scripting.Debugging

Charles Strahan charles.c.strahan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:20:57 EDT 2010

What is the current plan for supporting Microsoft.Scripting.Debugging
in IronRuby?  I'd like to implement ruby-debug-base, so I may
eventually get to ruby-debug-ide (IR support in RubyMine, woot!).

Could IronRuby perhaps expose an ITracePipeline instance?  That alone*
would provide most of the debug functionality needed (set next line,
trace callbacks).  Peeking into the scope could easily accomplished
using the RubyContext, I think.

Should I open a ticket on CodePlex for this?  I couldn't find anything
related using the search.

* Of course, IronRuby would also have to use a DebugContext instance
to rewrite the expression trees to make them debuggable, among other
things. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a lot of work :)