[Ironruby-core] Debugging ironruby code hosted by a c# app

Tomas Matousek Tomas.Matousek at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 29 19:56:48 EDT 2010

If your app is executing simple Ruby files it is possible to debug them in VS. You need to turn on debugging when you create a ScriptRuntime:

var setup = new ScriptRuntimeSetup();
setup.DebugMode = true;
setup.AddRubySetup();
var runtime = Ruby.ScriptRuntime(setup);
runtime.ExecuteFile("foo.rb");

Run your app with attached VS debugger and place breakpoint to foo.rb.

Note that DebugMode slows down execution significantly and is therefore not quite usable for larger app frameworks (gems, rails, etc.). We don't have any better debugging experience right now. We are working towards one but it will take some time.

Tomas