[Ironruby-core] Debugging ironruby code hosted by a c# app

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 29 19:51:48 EDT 2010

You can attach the VS debugger to your process, and as long as you've told the IronRuby engine to generate debug-able code, you can place breakpoints in Ruby code. The stack trace and watch windows are very verbose, as they show you the IronRuby internals, but with some extra digging around you can find the values of your variables and such.

You can initialize the IronRuby engine to generate debug-able code like this:

// Program.cs:
using IronRuby;
using Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args) {
            // There might be a more concise way of doing it with Ruby.CreateEngine((ls) => {}), but I'm not sure
            var setup = new ScriptRuntimeSetup() { DebugMode = true };
            setup.LanguageSetups.Add(Ruby.CreateRubySetup());
            var engine = Ruby.CreateRuntime(setup).GetRubyEngine();

            // place a breakpoint in foo.rb, and it'll break there
            engine.ExecuteFile("foo.rb");
        }
    }
}

# Foo.rb:
puts 'hi'

Note: don't create foo.rb in VS, as it'll a Unicode file, and IronRuby will give you a wonky exception like " undefined method `puts' for main:Object"