[Ironruby-core] Pair programming next week
Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 29 15:51:46 EDT 2009
The last few pair programming sessions had worked out very well. Since its been a while since we did one, I want to find out if anyone is interested in doing in again next week. Reply (just to me) if you have an IronRuby-task (some suggestions at http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/contributing) that you would like help with. Once I know who all are interested, we can work out a time that works for everyone.
Here is the info from http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/debugging :
Pair debugging with experienced IronRuby developers
Some experienced IronRuby developers may be available to debug a problem with you. Watching over their shoulder can help a newcomer to the code base learn debugging tips and techniques. To make this a fruitful exercise, please follow the following guidelines:
* Send email to ironruby-core at rubyforge.org<mailto:ironruby-core at rubyforge.org> asking if any experienced developer is available to help you
* Ensure that you can build and successfully run all of the RubySpec<http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/rubyspec> tests.
* Restrict the problems to pure Ruby code which is known to work with MRI. Ensuring a clean working baseline functionality in MRI ensures that the problem truly in IronRuby. Without a known clean MRI baseline, the problem can be in a component other than IronRuby which you are as well-equipped to diagnose as anyone else.
* Set up a clean repro. Spend time ensuring that it is not a configuration issue, and that the problem can be easily reproduced on other machines. Document detailed information about your platform, version of IronRuby, and the steps to repro the problem.
* Do basic debugging by yourself beforehand. This will ensure that you get the most out of the session and can keep up with what's going on over Live Meeting.
* Set up Live Meeting<http://livemeeting.com> on your machine, which will allow you to watch the debugging session.
* The Live Meeting invite will be sent by email just before the scheduled hour.
* The email invite will also contain a toll-free number to dial in to. If you cannot call in, add the experienced developer as a friend/buddy in some Chat program so that you can ask questions during the debugging session.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ironruby-core