[Ironruby-core] Open source project to port

Nathan Stults Nathan_Stults at HSIHealth.com
Thu Oct 29 08:34:22 EDT 2009

That’s a fun one because it involves a good opportunity to create a Ruby DSL, which will be a good demo for a book. I wrote a state machine DSL using Boo way back when using Ayende Rahein’s book on the topic (http://www.codeplex.com/SimpleStateMachine)  and although Boo provides some meta-programming capabilities, the implementation was painful and hacky and hard to evolve and the DSL syntax was more constrained that I would have liked. I always wanted to re-implement using a parser generator to fix all that, but never got to it. Ruby is a much better choice than either Boo or a parser generator for a state machine DSL. The contrast between how simple and straightforward a Ruby DSL can be will be stark. I imagine IR will be preferred path to internal DSL’s on the .NET framework from now on.  I was going to look at  doing something like this in Ruby myself at one point, but when I looked (very briefly) there seemed to be a few state machine libraries already offered  by the Ruby community I wanted to evaluate first. For illustrative purposes for a book, though, that is irrelevant, although you may want to survey them anyway, as preparation.

From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Ivan Porto Carrero
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:21 AM
To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] Open source project to port

Seo started with the ironmagick gem :)

Ryan pointed me towards this little library/application, it seems to be the right size and is fairly interesting:

http://code.google.com/p/stateless

unless somebody has a better idea it will pop up in my ironrubyinaction repository somewhere next week.
---
Ivan Porto Carrero
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim