[Ironruby-core] getting the runtime type

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Sun Nov 29 09:00:50 EST 2009

Every Ruby class is not mapped to a unique CLR type (they are all IronRuby.Builtins.RubyObject unless you subclass a CLR type or implement and interface). So doing the IronPython ClrMetaClass equivalent would require a speciic feature in IronRuby to give more control of the underlying CLR type -- IronPython has already added this in the form of "__clrtype__".

This work is not planned for 1.0, but definitely leaves a usability hole in our CLR integration. The work-around is to create a empty C# class, and then subclass it from Ruby -- there will be a unique CLR class generated for this Ruby class. Things like CLR attributes need to go on the C# class.

~Jimmy
Sent from my phone