[Ironruby-core] Replacing StandardInput for ScriptEngine?

Nathan Stults Nathan_Stults at HSIHealth.com
Thu Nov 5 17:40:16 EST 2009

Please disregard. The StandardInput is being set properly and IronRuby
is using it. Writing to a MemoryStream (obviously) positions the stream
at EOF - the next read will obviously come up empty unless the position
is reset. Used a queue-based stream and all worked well.

From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org
[mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Nathan Stults
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:30 PM
To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: [Ironruby-core] Replacing StandardInput for ScriptEngine?

I am experimenting with script IO in preparation for hosting an IRB
session via an embedded SSH server and/or embedded HTTP server, but I'm
having trouble getting the script environment to use a custom stream for
standard input. I used the following code for setting up my IronRuby

  public Form1()

            _stdIn = new MemoryStream();

            _inputWriter = new StreamWriter(_stdIn);

            _stdOut = new FifoStream();

            _outputReader = new StreamReader(_stdOut);

            _stdOut.DataArrived += StdOutDataArrived;

            _scriptEngine = Ruby.CreateEngine();

            _globalScope = _scriptEngine.CreateScope();

            _scriptEngine.Runtime.IO.SetInput(_stdIn, Encoding.Default);

If I write "hello" + Environment.NewLine to the input stream and flush
the writer and then use the ScriptEngine e to execute a "x = gets" - x
is always nil. However, if I use the script engine to execute "puts
'hello'" my custom output stream is used and I see my output.

I feel like I am missing a key ingredient in my setup process - any help
would be appreciated.