[Ironruby-core] Replacing StandardInput for ScriptEngine?

Nathan Stults Nathan_Stults at HSIHealth.com
Thu Nov 5 15:30:15 EST 2009

Hello,

I am experimenting with script IO in preparation for hosting an IRB
session via an embedded SSH server and/or embedded HTTP server, but I'm
having trouble getting the script environment to use a custom stream for
standard input. I used the following code for setting up my IronRuby
environment:

  public Form1()

        {

            InitializeComponent();

            _stdIn = new MemoryStream();

            _inputWriter = new StreamWriter(_stdIn);

            txtStandardIn.KeyPress+=(s,e)=>

                                        {

_inputWriter.Write(e.KeyChar);

                                            _inputWriter.Flush();

                                            Debug.Write(e.KeyChar);

                                        };

            _stdOut = new FifoStream();

            _outputReader = new StreamReader(_stdOut);

            _stdOut.DataArrived += StdOutDataArrived;

            _scriptEngine = Ruby.CreateEngine();

            _globalScope = _scriptEngine.CreateScope();

            _scriptEngine.Runtime.IO.SetInput(_stdIn, Encoding.Default);

            _scriptEngine.Runtime.IO.SetOutput(_stdOut,
Encoding.Default);

        }

If I write "hello" + Environment.NewLine to the input stream and flush
the writer and then use the ScriptEngine e to execute a "x = gets" - x
is always nil. However, if I use the script engine to execute "puts
'hello'" my custom output stream is used and I see my output.

I feel like I am missing a key ingredient in my setup process - any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan