[Ironruby-core] How do you convince .Net developers touseIronRuby?

Nathan Stults Nathan_Stults at HSIHealth.com
Thu Nov 5 01:08:42 EST 2009

Good point. I guess from an evangelism perspective, it makes sense to talk to everyone who walks by the soapbox, as there’s something for everyone. Even so, if the path to significant adoption = IronRuby Evangelists =>  Rubyists  =>  .NET Foot Soldiers, I’ll eat my hat J Fortunately, it’s made of food.

From: ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org [mailto:ironruby-core-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of Ryan Riley
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:35 PM
To: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] How do you convince .Net developers touseIronRuby?

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Nathan Stults <Nathan_Stults at hsihealth.com> wrote:

But isn't the C-Ruby or J-Ruby crowd deploying primarily on Windows a
pretty small group, all in all? Aren't most Ruby dev's working on Linux?
After all, Ruby is considerably faster on Linux. I'm having a hard time
imagining what the value proposition is for this demographic, who
shouldn't really need to convert, but simply be willing to consider
IronRuby as an alternative deployment option for Windows. Maybe I'm just
being pessimistic, but I see convincing established Ruby developers to
leave their stable, mature interpreters and libraries for 0.x IronRuby
to gain access to .NET, and at the same time wave goodbye to Ruby 1.9,
somewhat steeper of a climb than peddling dynamic languages, Ruby and
IronRuby, to the existing .NET community.

What about RubyCocoa and Flex development? Not all Ruby is pure web or console scripts. Apple got Ruby devs working on their platform (or maybe vice versa). Why not Ruby WPF or Ruby Silverlight (via Ivan's IronNails or Jimmy's silverline)? It's not a major jump, but it gives them easier access to Windows client development. If nothing else, they may be able to help evangelize the C# and VB.NET stalwarts and show them a better way. ;)

Ryan Riley

Email: ryan.riley at panesofglass.org
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/