[Ironruby-core] How do you convince .Net developers to useIronRuby?

Ryan Riley ryan.riley at panesofglass.org
Thu Nov 5 00:34:43 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Nathan Stults
<Nathan_Stults at hsihealth.com>wrote:

> But isn't the C-Ruby or J-Ruby crowd deploying primarily on Windows a
> pretty small group, all in all? Aren't most Ruby dev's working on Linux?
> After all, Ruby is considerably faster on Linux. I'm having a hard time
> imagining what the value proposition is for this demographic, who
> shouldn't really need to convert, but simply be willing to consider
> IronRuby as an alternative deployment option for Windows. Maybe I'm just
> being pessimistic, but I see convincing established Ruby developers to
> leave their stable, mature interpreters and libraries for 0.x IronRuby
> to gain access to .NET, and at the same time wave goodbye to Ruby 1.9,
> somewhat steeper of a climb than peddling dynamic languages, Ruby and
> IronRuby, to the existing .NET community.

What about RubyCocoa and Flex development? Not all Ruby is pure web or
console scripts. Apple got Ruby devs working on their platform (or maybe
vice versa). Why not Ruby WPF or Ruby Silverlight (via Ivan's IronNails or
Jimmy's silverline)? It's not a major jump, but it gives them easier access
to Windows client development. If nothing else, they may be able to help
evangelize the C# and VB.NET stalwarts and show them a better way. ;)

Ryan Riley

Email: ryan.riley at panesofglass.org
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/