[Ironruby-core] How do you convince .Net developers to use IronRuby?

Huw Collingbourne lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Nov 4 17:07:29 EST 2009

Well we are getting some interesting comments on the post on our site so
I don't want to repeat myself too much in this thread ;-)

Suffice to say, while we have provided free IDEs for Ruby and IronRuby,
we are a commercial company so we have to take a very hard-headed view
of where our most profitable future path may be. For us to resume work
on our Visual Studio IronRuby IDE, we really need to be convinced that
there is a market for this among professional Visual Studio developers.
While it is, I suppose, possible that people have been silently waiting
for us to produce new versions of our IronRuby IDE, all I can say is
that it has been our experience that when a body of programmers is using
your IDE regularly, they don't stay silent. When we were in the beta
development of our standard Ruby IDE, we had a lot of user feedback. The
same is now true of the IDE we are building for Adobe Flex.

The future of our IronRuby IDE is not something we are going to decide
overnight. We'll certainly keep a close eye on the IronRuby forums and
we'll no doubt carry on the discussion on our own forums and blog before
we arrive at a final decision. Given the work we initially put into the
alpha IronRuby IDE (the form designer etc.) it would be personally
satisfying to take it up to the same level of development as our Ruby
and Flex IDEs. At the moment, we are not completely convinced that
diverting back resources into that would be a sound business decision.
But if we do get the sense that there genuinely is an upwelling of
interest among professional .NET / Visual Studio developers we shall, of
course, pay very close attention to that! ;-)

best wishes