[Ironruby-core] How do you convince .Net developers to use IronRuby?

Thibaut Barrère thibaut.barrere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 06:27:05 EST 2009

Very quick thoughts:
- dynamic (ruby/python) is quite frightening for most .Net developers I know
(they tend to have a mostly static background, C C++ Java .Net)
- I tend to focus my energy on building useful stuff with X vs. advocating
the use of X (valid point for .Net in 2001, Rails in 2005, Pascal in 1993,
etc...). Even after seeing mind-changing implementations, most of the
developers won't switch unless the change is enforced, somehow!
- I agree with Kevin: listening then explaining is usually far more
efficient as compared to convincing, which generates a strong force back.
- I agree that despite the huge work behind it and the reliability of IR,
we're very early in its life. Most people I know will expect a 1.0 timestamp
before even trying to download the package.
- I would try hard *not* to make hype at all around IronRuby. I know it's
hard for book writers, early adopters etc, but honestly it tend to put too
much expectations, and it's very quick to backfire with this. Just providing
informational stuff, kind and useful, not "we're better than x" kind of
stuff, works best in my opinion.

Well this doesn't give you a solution, but hopefully a few more points to
think about :)

Thibaut
--
http://www.learnivore.com