[Ironruby-core] Thread priority

Pascal Normandin pascal.normandin at convergentware.com
Sat May 16 10:54:32 EDT 2009

Hello,

I’ve send an email to ssiadmin today … just waiting for the followup.

Regarding the thread priority at this time anything lower to -2 will be mapped to Clr thread priority Lowest and anything above 2 will be mapped to Highest.

So something like this could happen

thr.priority=1000

puts thr.priority #=> 2

So even if you set 1000 the next time you check this value it will be 2 as 1000 is mapped to Highest

Is that acceptable ?

I guess best way of implementing this to be closer to the ruby spec would be to keep a priority variable in the Thread objet and then adjust the Clr priority based on all the threads that are currently running.

i.e. if we have the following threads running with the following priorities

T1 = P10

T2 = P20

T3 = P30

T4 = P40

T5 = P50

Then we readjust the Clr priorities to

Lowest                 == 10

BelowNormal    == 20

Normal                 == 30

AboveNormal    == 40

Highest                 == 50

And if there is more than 5 priorities some would need to be regrouped together.  Doing that will require some dynamic compilation of thread priorities and add a little overhead …

Anyways that may not be necessary, what do you think ?

Pascal