[Ironruby-core] Force a .NET cast (COM Interop)

Orion Edwards orion.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:59:06 EDT 2009

I have an Interop'ed COM object (System.__ComObject) that I'm trying to use
from an IronRuby script.
Because the way that you seem to QueryInterface from .NET is to use casting,
I therefore need to cast from within IronRuby.

comobject = Activator.create_instance(base_com_type) # returns a base type
which is IUnknown + not much else
comobject.do_stuff # throws NoMethodError.

In C#, I'd then do ((ICanDoStuff)comObject).do_stuff; which calls
QueryInterface, so the do_stuff method will now actually exist.

Is there any way I can do this?